To all members of the Regimental Family of the Canadian Grenadier Guards,
It is with great sadness that I inform you all of the passing of Lieutenant-Colonel Mark Francis Macpherson in his 91st year (April 1, 1932).
He was the Regiment’s Senior past Lieutenant-Colonel Commanding, as well as Senior past Honorary appointment holder.
Former Lieutenant-Colonel Commanding, Lieutenant-Colonel Mark F. Macpherson, CD, GCLJ, GOMLJ, MBA, BComm, BSc (EE), PEng, retired, commanded The Regiment from September 1, 1965 – May 31, 1968, and he was Honorary Lieutenant-Colonel from November 1, 1985 – April 30, 1991.
In addition, Lieutenant-Colonel Macpherson was also a dedicated and long-standing volunteer, within the following professional organizations:
– Member of The Canadian Grenadier Guards Council: 1968 – Present
– President – Canadian Grenadier Guards Club: Apr 2019 – Present.
– Former Governor – Commissionaires Canada, Quebec Division: Jan 1987 – Present.
– Sustaining Member – and former Prior, of Grand Priory in Canada; former Commander Montreal Commandery: Military and Hospitaller Order of Saint Lazarus of Jerusalem -Jan 1998 – Present.
– Former First Vice-President – Royal Canadian Legion Branch 244, Hemingford QC: Jan 1999 – Jan 2017.
– Former Municipal Councillor: Township of Hemingford, Quebec.
– Life Member – Radio Amateurs of Canada: Jan 1979 – Present.
-Held the rank of Captain Lieutenant with the 78th Fraser Highlanders: 2000 – Present.
-Former President of the Laurentian Branch of the Royal Heraldry Society of Canada, in 2004 and lifetime member from January 1999 – Present.
Our thoughts and prayers are with him and his family during this most difficult time.
“God our Father, your power brings us to birth, your providence guides our lives, and by Your command we return to dust.
Lord, those who die, still live in Your presence, their lives change but do not end.
We pray in hope for Lieutenant-Colonel Macphersons family, relatives and friends, and for all the dead known to You alone.
In company with Christ, who died and now lives, may they rejoice in Your Kingdom, where all our tears are wiped away.
Unite us together again in one family, to sing Your praise forever and ever. Amen”
Interment will take place on April 1, 2023, at The National Military Cemetery, 280 Beechwood Ave., Ottawa, Ontario K1L 8A6.
Please share this sad news with all members of the Regimental Family, whom you are in contact with.
Once a Guardsman, always a Guardsman